I met my 40 year old brother for the first time in October 2018 (we didn’t know each other existed until a few prior — long story). A few weeks after meeting each other, I was sent a newspaper article that reported his death. He fell onto railroad tracks and was run over by a train and was killed.
My aunt, knowing of my occupation as a gospel instructor, asked me to select a scripture to be read at my brother’s funeral. Our extended family are all members of the Baptist faith and so I felt it appropriate to seek our Biblical passages to find the best verse to have read during the services.
Below is the list of scriptures I compiled and chose from. Each addresses the hope that is in us because of our savior, Jesus Christ. These sacred passages remind me of our Heavenly Father’s goodness, omniscience, kindness, forgiveness, and love. My faith has been strengthened through scriptures and I am so grateful to have the word of God in my life.
Many people, because of trials and setback and even because of doctrinal confusion, tend to feel hopeless this time of year. I hope these verses below can strengthen you or someone you may know who is struggling. The scriptures truly are a light in our lives and I hope these selections can brighten your faith:
- Deuteronomy 4:30 When thou art in tribulation, turn to the Lord; He will not forsake thee
- Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
- Ezra 9:13 After all that is come upon us for our evil deeds and for our great trespass, our God hast punished us less than our iniquities deserve.
- Nehemiah 9:17 …Thou art a God ready to pardon, gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and forsookest them not.
- Psalm 34:18 The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
- Psalm 90:12 Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.
- Ecclesiastes 3:1,11 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven…He hath made every thing beautiful in his time.
- Ecclesiastes 11:5 As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all.
- Isaiah 61:1-3 …The Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; to comfort all that mourn; to appoint unto them that mourn in Zion to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness.
- Jeremiah 30:17 I will restore health unto thee and I will heal thee of thy wounds
- Lamentations 3:25-26 The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord.
- John 11:22-26 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee. Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again…I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.
- John 14:1-6 Let not your heart be troubled. Ye believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions…I go to prepare a place for you…that where I am, there ye may be also… I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
- John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
- John 16:33 In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
- Acts 1:7 It is not for you to know the times or the seasons which the Father hath put in his own power.
- Romans 8:28 We know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
- 1 Corinthians 15:55-57 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?…Thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 4:5-7 We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
- 2 Corinthians 5:5-8 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: For we walk by faith, not by sight: We are confident and willing rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.
- 1 Peter 4:12-13 Think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you, but rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
- 1 Peter 5:10 The God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus. After ye have suffered a while, will make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
- Philippians 4:7,13 The peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus…I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me.
- Jeffrey R Holland Christmas Comfort (audio)
We from Latter Day Soldiers wish you a very happy New Year, hoping you can feel the comfort that only the Prince of Peace can bring.